October 25, 2008

Notan sketch

Here are some pages from one of my Notan sketchbooks showing how loose a notan painting can be. I typically try several compositions before I start to work in color. These notebooks are fairly small.

For a list of materials I use, see: Notan Supplies









Video on Notan for people who don't know the concept:


Strictly speaking the following are not notan paintings, but they serve a useful purpose in planning a painting. I use the term "color notan" to distinguish them from true notan sketches or paintings.


2 comments:

  1. john, Is there any books or info about the color notan? Don Rogers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Don
    Not as far as I'm aware, that was why I wrote about it in my notan course units:
    http://www.virtualartacademy.com/-notan-c-27.html
    Barry John

    ReplyDelete