October 25, 2008

Notan sketch

For the updated of this article on Notan, see my new Guide to Notan Design

Here are some pages from one of my Notan sketchbooks showing how loose a notan painting can be. I typically try several compositions before I start to work in color. These notebooks are fairly small.

For a list of materials I use, see: Notan Supplies










Strictly speaking the following are not notan paintings, but they serve a useful purpose in planning a painting. I use the term "color notan" to distinguish them from true notan sketches or paintings.


2 comments:

  1. john, Is there any books or info about the color notan? Don Rogers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Don
    Not as far as I'm aware, that was why I wrote about it in my notan course units:
    http://www.virtualartacademy.com/-notan-c-27.html
    Barry John

    ReplyDelete